Monday, September 7, 2009

Two Very Special Guys...

Last weekend I was so lucky to get to spend the weekend with two of my favorite guys in the whole world, my husband and my little "big" brother. We flew out to Washington State together and then we were able to spend all day Friday with just the three of us. While many have said, "Wow, you are so lucky" in a very sarcastic tone considering I was the only girl, it was a wonderful trip.

These two guys made me laugh so many times and so hard that my stomach hurt. We had the best day on Friday. We started out driving around our old stomping grounds. I have been up within the last 3 years so I was refreshing my brothers memory and sharing these memories with my husband for the first time.

After visiting the stomping grounds, we went to lunch at an amazing brewery and ate the best Fish N Chips ever. It was so good. Then we were off to the Bonneville Fish Hatchery and Multnomah Falls in Oregon. Jared was so excited to see the fish! I guess boys never really outgrow the love of seeing the BIGGEST fish.

While walking around the hatchery, Jared and Toby tried to outdo each other on who could embarrass the other the most. I think in turn, I was the one who got to be the most embarrassed, just take a look at how "Special" they are. I only wanted a nice picture of the two of them, this wasn't exactly what I was shooting for!

We then walked over to the Fish ladders and were watching the fish, this was when Toby told Jared that he would pay him $100 just to jump in with the fish. They both thought it was hilarious but that it was a bad idea considering Jared would be using the $100 plus much more to bail himself out of jail and pay fines.

After the fish ladders we went down to the dam to see it. Jared made a comment that the water was very "rapidy" and then realized immediately that that was not a word and
was a mistake that he would be paying for all day. Toby then started to make all words end with the "y" sound. They are a mess for sure. Then Toby filmed the dam and made a few really dumb jokes about it being the "damn dam" and how "rapidy the water looked." Jared was amuzed as well as the rest of us. Oh, the things that entertain us!

After we were done looking at the dam we were going back to the parking lot and rather than walking around this huge embankment we decided to race up it. Well, this is a pretty steep embankment but I beat them all, but once we hit the parking lot, Jared had me beat. He cheated though, he used his extremely long stride to win. I can't compete with 6 foot 6 inches of person!! It just wasn't fair odds!

We were leaving the hatchery and security had to put us through, Toby and the security guard began talking about Police Work forever so Jared and I made fun of him and his "Badge Heaviness" all the way to Multnomah Falls. This was hilarious! It was fun to be the ones picking on him once in a while because we all know Toby is the worlds worst.

At Multnomah Falls, it started to rain and Jared was taking pictures of everything, around every corner so it was freezing by the time we reached the top. When we finally go there, two
two people were practically having a photo shoot near the bridge. The girl kept telling the ridiculously posed guy to "look to the left and don't smile, pretend you don't care." We started to laugh hysterically and Toby made the comment about it being some kind of Abercrombie shoot. So, when it became time to take Jared's picture at the falls, Toby was ridiculous. He kept telling Jared (very loud I might add) to "Look Mad, Look Mad" and we couldn't keep straight faces. The people around us were laughing hysterically as well, so Jared's mad picture turned out to look so funny. But we have to give him credit for trying!

After leaving the falls we drove back to John and Mel's house and were able to spend the evening with some of our best friends in the world. Amber and Amanda. We have some history
that goes way back and we were able to reminisce and visit a lot. Amanda chose to make fun of Toby and Jared for the picture they took at Bonneville and they made their own personal shot of it. It was a classic. We sat around and visited with John, Melanie, Amanda, Amber, Uncle Scott, Nora, Debbie, Austin, and the three of us. It was a fun filled evening of tears, laughter, and lots of sarcasm. Our family would not be the same without it.

The next morning we got up to the smell of biscuits and gravy and bacon. Melanie is a good cook and she made a heap of food for the big day. We ate and shared laughter as well as more tears. We then went up on the mountain to the spot that John had picked out to spread my dad's ashes, it was breathtakingly beautiful. Thank you John for being so thoughtful! While we
all shed tears for our loss, we also shared funny stories and good memories and even had a few laughs. I cannot think of better people to share this experience with.

It was then that my "sweet" husband had my brother laughing, which he needed at the moment. He told him that the incline on the hill was very "steepery." It was hilarious and we all shared a laugh, considering they were all in on it too because we shared the funny story the night before.

We went back to the house after this and enjoyed a wonderful meal and time with together before my Grandparents went back to Oregon and Amanda and Amber drove back up to Seattle. We took some classic shots to mimic our "grown up" version of the four little kids that were inseparable. It was a bittersweet goodbye to them. I know we keep in contact so much better now but it is always hard to say goodbye to the two
girls that don't really count as best friends, they are more like sisters in a family.

After our goodbye, we were able to spend the evening with John and Mel and of course, the three of us. Jared and Toby were fascinated with Melanie's parrot, Ollie and I think they wanted to touch it but were scared (rightfully so, it would have bitten them). However, they would walk by it and it would do a weird hissing sound and throw up his wings, they thought it was so funny, I think it would have been funnier if the bird actually snagged one of them for messing with him.

We had a quite evening and watched a little t.v. after going back up to the spot where we spread dad's ashes, just one more goodbye before our departure the next morning. During the trip, John told stories that were so funny none of us stopped laughing for about an hour.
Good ole' John, you can always count on him for a good laugh and a good time.

The next morning we got ready and started on our hour drive to Portland to board the plane. Mel and I were pretty quiet, I think we were both dreading the end of the trip, but the guys kept visiting and telling stories. It was nice to have the guys. I sat in between my brother and my husband the whole way to the airport. They were squishing me but they were still a comfort to me. I love those two. They are the best support and I love them so much. They made a time that could have been harder, fun. We enjoyed ourselves and had some real quality time together.

As we said our tearful goodbye and promised to visit soon, Toby and Jared got our luggage and we headed into the familiar airport.
we sat in the airport, we had a great time of laughing about certain styles of people (such as socks and wedge heel flip flops) not the best look.

When we boarded the plane, we were all in seperate rows but managed to talk the other people into switching so we all ended up together. Before boarding the plane, I bought a word find book and ended up getting less time with it than the guys. Then there was competition between the two of them as to who could find more the quickest or who circled them better. They really are something else.

But as I looked at my brother and my husband I thought of how lucky I am to have these two special guys in my life. They know how to make me laugh when I am down and can relate
better to me than any other guys in the world. I am so lucky to have them as a part of my life. I am grateful for this trip so that I was able to have this quality time with both of them.

They are amazing men and I am so blessed to have them as a part of my family. I can't think of better people to have spent this time with.

Thanks guys! It was an amazing trip and I am so glad that I got to spend it with both of you.

4 comments:

  1. Hey, I loved all the gorgeous Washington Pics! You're probably wondering who the heck I am:) I'm Beau Holwick's wife. I remember you from way back in school, but you probably don't remember me. But anyway, I saw your blog on Sarah Dominguez's(My sister-in-law)blog. Your pics made me miss home. In what area did you live. I grew up in a tiny town about 20 miles north of Portland. It's so beautiful. Now almost all my family is there, but we're here in good ol Show Low again. I really do love it, but of course miss home and family:) Well, anyhow, thanks for sharing. Blogs are so much fun. Hope this wasn't too random:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am actually from a little town called Appleton, it is across the Columbia River from the Dalles and Hood River. It is beautiful up there. I miss it always. My little brother Jared, used to be one of Beau's best friends. How ironic?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if I've been to Appleton, possibly. I served a mini-mission in The Dalles for only six weeks, before my mission to Sweden, and I loved it. It is so beautiful. We crossed the bridge a couple times to the Washington side, but I can't remember what town it was. Yeah, I remember Beau and Jared being best friends. I actually had crushes on both of them when we were like 12. Good times:) Beau still teases me about that, and acts all hurt that I liked his best friend. he he. Anyhow, hope you don't mind me following your blog. You're family is adorable. Isn't family the best. That's what it's all about:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't mind at all. The town you crossed over to was Lyle. That is where we were in most of these pictures. My best friends family lives there. Take care!

    ReplyDelete