Sunday, October 4, 2009

My Husband, my BEST friend.

My husband, as most of you know, is a police officer in the area and the School Resource Officer at that. He has the opportunity to do the "scary/thrilling" stuff (depends on who you ask, Him or me on which one you get) and has the chance to work with the students. He has been in the schools since January and absolutely loves it.

I think it is amazing!! Not only do I get to have lunch with him every day but Tuesday (he eats with Kiley in the cafeteria on that day) but I get to have him home in the evenings and weekends, for the most part.

Several years ago when he told me that this was the profession he wanted, I was VERY against it! It scared me and I was not looking forward to having our family work around shift work. Well, as against it as I was, I wasn't going to hold him back from something he wanted to do. Now, looking back five years later, I can't imagine him doing anything else or our family running any other way. We have made it work.

Since Toby has been in the schools, I have seen a change in him. Not a bad or good kind of change but just a change in general. I have seen him develop relationships with kids and form bonds with them. I have seen him have emotional connections with them due to a lifestyle some of these kids "have" to live! He is a positive influence in the lives of these children who might not otherwise have one. I am so proud of him!

Yesterday, was the Public Saftey Open House at the Police Department. Toby was so excited about this since he is the D.A.R.E officer now. He made fliers and put up posters. He made announcements at the school and reminded the kids about it as they were going out to the buses on Friday. He really wanted a good turnout and he wanted "his" kids to be there. Well, he succeeded. They had the biggest turnout this year, ever. It was so neat to see all the kids there to see "Officer Gilmore."

He volunteered to be the "victim" of the Police Canine, "Holly." She is not a nice dog I might
add (her owner says she is just mis
under
stood but I just think she is extremely vicious). Toby had to simulate a criminal running from the police. He did, in a lot of gear, I might add and she attacked. It was crazy to watch.

After the simulation was over, Toby began walking back to the truck to get changed out of the bite gear and there were so many kids that just swarmed him. Comments like:

"Officer Gilmore, that was so cool!"
"Were you scared?"
"She is so fast!"

Toby looked so proud that all of those kids came and were so interested in what he was doing. His comment to them was pretty funny though, "That is why you never run from the cops!" The
kids just laughed and agreed.

During his time as the S.R.O, he has bonded with one child in particular. If you ask some of his previous teachers, they will most likely tell you that he is a "problem" child and is a "pain" and "you don't want him in your class." If you ask Toby about this kid, he will tell you "He is a great kid!" and "He is a funny guy." He has been given the title of "Toby's favorite."

This child has had a pretty disadvantaged life. Mom is a drug addict and dad has been in and out of prison. I believe he is currently being raised by his grandparents who are older and tired. There isn't a day that goes by at the school that this boy doesn't come up to me and ask where "Officer Gilmore" is. He tells me how cool and funny he is. He really looks up to Toby.

Well, yesterday at the Public Safety Open House, Toby volunteered to get into the "Dunk-a-Cop" tank to raise money for the Special Olympics. It was hilarious to see all the kids line up to "dunk" their D.A.R.E. officer. Toby, of course, was talking all the smack he could and the kids were "shutting him up" quickly by dunking him. He was in the tank for nearly 2 hours total and
raised nearly $200 dollars. The largest donation they have raised in years!

During the time that he was in the tank, the student that Toby thinks so highly of showed up. Toby asked him if he was going to take a turn at trying to dunk him and his reply was, "I don't have the money to do it, I just came to see you." Toby lent the child the money to dunk him. The look on the little boys face was priceless. He was so excited that he was going to get a turn.

Of course, he got three for three and Toby was down in the water each time. Toby told him he was a cheater and so on and the student loved every minute of it. After the student was done dunking Toby he came over and asked him about the "bite" dog and they chatted a little while longer until it was time for him to go. Toby made sure to shake his hand and tell him thank you for coming. It was neat to see! It made me very proud to call this man my husband!

As I was getting ready to leave, Toby stopped me and said this was so neat. He was pumped about all the kids showing up and supporting them. He was like a little kid again.

I am one of the lucky ones, I was able to marry my best friend. He, almost 8 years later, is still my best friend. He is the person I would choose to be with over anyone else and he makes me laugh more than anyone else. He is a wonderful father to his children and wonderful husband to me. He stands by my side when I need him the most and takes a step back when I need some space. He is a shoulder to cry on and a friend to laugh with. My life would not be the same without him! I love him more than he will ever know. He is and always will be my FAVORITE!



No comments:

Post a Comment