Monday, October 5, 2009

When their fingerprints are gone...

So, today I was home from work with my little one. We are both finally getting over this "crud." I decided one more day of rest wasn't going to hurt anyone and I got a great sub for my class. The baby and I took a nice LONG nap this morning and then we played for a little while on the floor. While I was playing with him I caught a glimpse of something I had completely forgotten about.

About 6 years ago, Kiley was learning to write her name and practiced all the time. It wasn't until one day, years later, while cleaning the house I found a spot that she had "discreetly" written her name. I, of course, burst into tears at the sight of her "baby" handwriting. This particular spot that she signed her name is underneath my coffee table in the living room. I am not sure when she wrote it or how she got away with it without my noticing earlier but she did. Today, looking at it, I am so happy that she did. I don't know that I will ever part with this piece of furniture strictly because of the signature.

On Saturday, I was home sick and during the time that I was resting, my little Braedon decided to do some "signature" work of his very own. I woke up to find the number "42" on a specific piece of furniture. He was not as discreet as his big sister though, his was in plain
view for everyone to see. While I was getting after my 5 year old for writing on furniture and telling him why he shouldn't do it, I thought about Kiley's name on my coffee table. While this did not add beauty to my "butcher block," it did add some character. Years from now will I remember how he wrote his "42" if it is not on my butcher block?

Every week, when I clean house, I am wiping away my growing children's little fingerprints. They are being wiped off the doors, walls, windows, sinks, etc. They won't be around forever for me to look at and remember the times in their lives when they were so small.

Each of them have chosen to "bless" me with one thing that will stick! Their penmanship on my furniture! While this may seem silly, I think I will let it stay. Our children are only small for such a short time and I, for one, would like to remember the times when they were so little and innocent and sweet. My children are wonderful and by far the best things that have ever happened to me.

I want my children to know that even when their little, sticky fingerprints are gone; I won't ever forget kissing the little hands that made them. I won't forget the looks of determination on their faces as they learned to write their names or their numbers and the excitement that crossed their faces when they finally got it.

I am so happy to have the three children that I do and for all the wonderful times and laughs we have shared thus far. I look forward to many more years of laughter and joy with each of you!! Thank you for enriching my life far beyond what I ever imagined.

Love,
MOM
My Hands

Sometimes you get discouraged
Because I am so small
And always leave my fingerprints
On furniture and walls.

But every day I'm growing...
I'll be grown up someday
And all those tiny handprints
Will surely fade away.

So here's a final handprint
Just so you can recall
Exactly how my fingers looked
When I was very small.

2 comments:

  1. Great story sis, so true, you all grow up too fast, I know!

    Love Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's beautifully written, Jess. SO true......the smallest things we take for granted end up being the biggest things later in life. Thanks for sharing....I think I will slow down a bit today and love on my babies just a little more.And wait a little longer this week to clean my house:)

    ReplyDelete